Saturday, October 2, 2010

Introduction/Purpose

I'm a normal dude just like you. I work, play, pay my taxes, stay out of trouble, and do my best to contribute more to society than I receive.  I abhor debt and am doing my best to pay off the mortgage while building a small company that employs other locals instead of shipping more jobs overseas.

I'm a very responsible person who has accepted I'm probably not responsible enough when it comes to disaster preparedness.

Here in the Midwest, the weather has done its best to kick our ass over the last couple of years. Wind and ice storms knocked out power for more than a week to much of my city more than once. Extreme heat and moderate droughts this summer. My physical environment feels very unstable.

Then you throw in the financial and political mess politicians from both parties have put us in, irresponsible neighbors who spend far more than they make, an entitlement mentality among many others, and local and foreign terrorist's desire to destroy us … it's not hard to sit back and feel like I'm going to have to fend for myself one of these days.

My wife and I have taken some basic disaster preparedness steps over the past few years, but not nearly enough. It's easy to think about it and do a few things, but to really be prepared to fend for yourself for a few weeks or a few months is very hard.

I'm creating this blog to document my journey to preparedness and long-term self-reliance. I may post here often. I may post here very little. But I'll likely return and add some posts as I acquire more knowledge or resources that I would like to document for myself or share with others.

To sit back and think through every scenario is overwhelming and leads to inactivity. To move myself forward, I'm going to focus on various short-term and long-term scenarios. I'm going to start with a handful of realistic short-term scenarios like loss of electricity or water for one week or less, make sure we are prepared for those, then focus on some of the longer-term scenarios.

I'll post these scenarios including what I think our options are, what resources we have, and what additional resources we think will be helpful. As I see patterns start to emerge, I'll likely start acquiring some of those resources. I'll also post about some of the challenges I encounter.

Best,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment